Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 28 and 29

So day 28 started a lot better than yesterday. All of a sudden my pump decided to start working again. Also, I stopped by a local auto place to see if they had the right adapter just so I could top the tires off. Sure enough one of the guys dug one up so I had them put a little more air in.

I was on my way, FINALLY! it was a beautiful day with very little wind and I made it to Garden City in no time. When I got there I stocked up on bike gear and food. I tried getting a new pump but the adapter on the new one didn't want to work so I had to return it. I also bought some hand and foot warmers which will definitely be coming in handy. Thanks Linda!

After that I pretty much turned in for the night.

On Day 29, I was determined to get to Colorado. I had just been in Kansas way too long and at that point I was convinced the state had it out for me. Haha

Another day of smooth sailing. I got just across the border when I noticed a rest stop. I didn't have much more time before it got dark and really cold so I decided to stop there. I looked everywhere for something saying I couldn't camp there but there was nothing so I went for it. As I was setting up my tent a guy named Lance pulled up and sparked a conversation. He told me of his two years riding around the country on a bike. It was really great talking to him but it was starting to get really cold and dark so I had to get back to setting up camp.

Once everything was set up I got to enjoy a warm meal. Thanks to Kayleigh and Trevor that gave me an MRE (meal ready to eat) before leaving Dayton. It was actually pretty good! A little complicated of a process but good. Haha

When I went to crash out I got set up with my hand and foot warmers. I almost opted to sleep in the restroom (it was heated). It was another below freezing night. In fact, in the morning my water bottle was frozen all the way through. The warmers really helped but it was still hard to get good sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jason,
    Glad you have had a few days of smooth sailing. I know you are happy to be in Colorado. Hope the weather is manageable and that you continue with ease on your journey through Colorado.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete