Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 19 and 20

Day 19 was a short stretch to a campground just outside of KC. I officially made it to Kansas today! On my route today I discovered that a lot of the back roads in Kansas are unpaved so I decided after today to stick to bigger highways.

On the way out of KC I was just pedaling away when my nose made me stop. There was a little Mexican bakery that had smells coming from it that were phenomenal. When I got in there I didn't know where to start. They had a really cool setup too. The way you picked out what you wanted was by walking around with a pizza tray and some big metal tongs and load the tray up. Obviously I went a little crazy given that opportunity. Needless to say it was delicious and I definitely got some extra to enjoy that night.

As I was just about to the campground I noticed a Walmart and decided I would check to see if they had a good air mattress. I almost didn't because I had checked at several Walmarts before this but they never had anything that was right for what I needed. They always had queen size mattresses which were too big and a little pad that cost $40! At this one though they finally had a twin size one the was only $10. I was so excited to finally be able to sleep on something halfway decent while camping.

When I got to the campsite I could tell it was primarily an RV site because the tent sites were not well taken care of. But I was excited because there was some leftover firewood at one of the sites. It was already really cold and I've been wanting to get a campfire going since the start of this trip. So I started it up and sat by it for a while before turning in for the night.

Day 20 I was setting out for Topeka, KS. I had to take a few rough roads and I got checked on by a cop again to make sure I was alright. Other than that it was a pretty straightforward day.

As soon as the sun went down it got real cold real fast. Luckily I wasn't too far from the campground but I knew I was in for a rough night. I love the sleeping bag that my amazing friends Anthony and Leslie gave me because it's lightweight and it fits perfectly on the back of my bike but it definitely isn't built for cold nights. So I made sure to bundle up as you can see in the picture. I even kept my shoes on to try to keep them a little bit warmer. Even so it wasn't the best night of rest. When I woke up in the morning it was 29 degrees! I decided then that I was going to get a motel that night (was going to be about the same temp).

3 comments:

  1. Sweet progress so far Jason. I'm still envious too. What is your itinerary route-wise, you heading south soon? Keep us posted on the routes as well as with your excellent prose.

    Take care, and stay healthy and warm.

    Michael from Miamisburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your heightened sense of smell, and love for baked goods, led you to that wonderful bakery. Hope you figure out a method for keeping warmer on these cold nights. Finding the firewood reminds me when you and Daniel were younger and you would bring "found" firewood back to our campsite.
    I am amazed at how much ground you've already covered. Make sure to listen to your body and rest when needed - or find a bakery for some sugar fuel!
    Take care and enjoy the scenery.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smell of baked goods....nothing beats that!!! I'm glad that you were able to find a twin air mattress. Hope you had a fire stick while you were enjoying your fire. (memories of all of us camping) You'll have to make s'mores if you make another campfire. Stay warm.....

    Love Aunt Suzie

    ReplyDelete