Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 21 through 26

I'm just going to get all caught up here because there hasn't really been much going on lately. Mostly the typical routine: wake up, try to find a nice cafe, ride, eat, ride, eat, ride, eat, sleep.

Day 21 I made my way to Council Grove, KS. That night it was freezing so I called a pizza place and said right in the beginning I wanted to place an order for delivery. We get through the whole order and then it comes up that they don't deliver! I already had my order in so I decided to just ride down there. It was like being in a blast chiller when I was flying downhill.

Day 22 I was off to McPherson. Today, the winds started dying down a bit which was great. McPherson was a cool little town with some really nice people.

As I was getting ready to head out of McPherson on day 23, a man named Brent actually stopped me because he saw I was touring and wanted to hear my story. Really great guy and really enjoyed talking with him. After that I was off to Great Bend, KS.

Nothing much else to tell other than the fact that day 23 was the least amount of wind that I saw while in Kansas so far.

Day 24 I had high hopes for where I was going to ride to but the weather and my legs had other plans. Today the wind picked up like crazy and my legs just weren't having it. Only being able to go 8-9 mph while traveling over flat terrain really takes it out of you both mentally and physically. So I called it an early day and stopped in La Crosse, KS. in fact, I decided to take the next day off to give my legs a rest.

Day 25, I did just about nothing. The only time I got out to do anything was to run to the grocery store to get some more food. Boy did that feel good.

Day 26 I was headed to a state park about 99 miles away. As I was headed there I started second guessing my route. When I looked again at the map I realized that it would be likely that I would run into few if any facilities along the way (food, restrooms, water). So I stopped in the next town to contemplate a change in route. That was when I noticed my rear tire was flat. After changing my inner tube, I adjusted my route and was either going to stop in Dighton or Scott City for the night.

Let's just say that events during the day would decide that for me. Two more flats later there was no way I was going to make it to Scott City. Yes that's right THREE FLATS in a single day. One of the flats was my fault because I didn't look hard enough for what caused it and the same thorn caused a second flat.

Anyway, stopped in Dighton and just hoping for a smooth day on day 27. Beside the rain that's supposed to be rolling in.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about all the flat tires. Reminds me of the story Grandpa used to tell about going for a Sunday drive with his dad and grandpa and their car would get two or three flats only going a few miles. I am glad you are listening to your body and knowing when to slow down and rest. Thanks again for sharing your journey. You are one determined young man and I admire your strength. Much love and wishes for several flat-free days. May you experience the wind at your back more days than the wind pushing you back. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason..WOW...flat tires....wind ..,,and possible rain coming...you truly are a warrior..So glad you were able to take a day off and relax...good for the body and
    mind.....May you have smooth riding ahead!!

    Love Aunt Suzie

    ReplyDelete