Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 13 and 14

Day 13 started off with an amazing cave tour of Onondaga Cave. I wish I had a good flash on my phone because there were some amazing shots I couldn't get because the lighting was too dim. Even so, I still got some good ones. Before I went on the tour I was given the choice to go on the tour solo (nobody else was in at that time) or with a school group for half price. I was about to go with the group but then saw it was a really young elementary school group so I decided to go solo. Man am I glad I did because I got such an individualized tour and later we saw the other group and the guide was pointing out rocks that looked like witches and animals. I was happy to have avoided that. Haha

A quick tangent... In learning of the history of the cave I found out that there were many times the cave was almost destroyed by mining companies for its flow stone (a stone that is gorgeous when cut and polished). I am so very grateful that never happened and am now even more supportive of state parks and what they have to offer as I hope many others are. Natural beauties like these should never be destroyed to make for some pretty countertops.

I then set out for Owensville, MO. It was a nice day and a very scenic ride and I was enjoying it thoroughly. Later on in the day I was riding past a house with a dog in the yard. Of course the dog started barking and chasing after me but it was gated in so I wasn't worried. Shortly after the dog started barking I hear the owner's voice calling the dog. The dog didn't respond and just as I was getting far enough away that the dog would have stopped barking anyway... POP! The owner fired off a gunshot! I'm pretty sure they were doing it to shut the dog up but still almost had me bailing off the bike to find cover. Haha

After dinner I was making plans to find a place to set up my tent when off to the west I saw an amazing light show. It was a tremendous looking thunderstorm rolling in and even though I braved one well the previous night I wasn't in the mood to push my luck so I stopped for the night at the local motel. Luckily the owner understood my situation well and offered me a great rate.

There isn't much to tell about day 14. I made my way to a campground just outside of Jefferson City. Pretty normal day, good ride, can't complain.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you got a solo tour of the cave and are a an advocate for State/National parks.
    The gun shot sounds scary. We city folks aren't used to that sort of pet management technique.
    Good call on avoiding another night camping in a thunderstorm.
    Take care and keep on exploring!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you missed the witches and animals in the cave but good you got such a close up view of the cave. Incredible to see the natural beauty in the United States.

    ReplyDelete