Thursday, September 29, 2011

Background

One of the most common questions I have gotten since deciding to take this journey is why I decided to do so. Most of which asked in a WHY THE HECK fashion.

Well, it started several months back. There were some major changes in my life that turned plans for the following months on their head. At first I didn't know where to even start. Then, a couple weeks later I reached a turning point in which I started viewing my situation more as an opportunity to explore the possibilities. I was free to make whatever plans I wanted and I was excited.

I came up with a number of things: move somewhere exotic for a year, work for a cruise line for a bit, I even contemplated the Peace Corps again (almost went in once before). But nothing really fit all that well with what I wanted and/or needed at the time. So I stopped to think about what I wanted out of the next step in my life. I decided I wanted to do something fun, challenging, fulfilling, different, and something I would never forget. Well, I knew I had a move back to California from Ohio coming up in a few months so I started off with the idea of taking a long road trip on the way back, but that was neither challenging nor different. Then a light bulb went off... I should bike the way back!!!

I love riding my bike, I love the outdoors, I love adventure, and I love a challenge. Needless to say, I fell in love with the idea instantly.

Shortly thereafter, reality took hold and I had to start thinking about whether or not it was going to be feasible. To make a long story short working out the logistics was a bit of a nightmare. Working two jobs to save up for it while getting in as much training as possible in itself was extremely taxing. In fact, I didn't even know for sure that I was going to be able to do it until this last Tuesday (thus the two day delay). But everything has fallen into place and mission is a go. I couldn't be more excited (and anxious) and I can't wait to share my stories along the way with all who are following.

No comments:

Post a Comment