Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 34

On Day 34 I was headed over the next summit to Pollock Pines. I took my time in the morning because I wanted to make sure that I passed the summit during midday so it wouldn't be too cold. On my way out of town I had to stop to fuel up at Heidi's, one of my favorite breakfast places in Tahoe. As I proceeded to demolish two regular size breakfasts, the lady waiting on me expressed her astonishment. As usual, that lead to a long talk about the journey I was on and my reasons for doing so. Jane couldn't believe it and wanted to know every detail. She was one of the most fascinated with my story of all the people that I had talked to along the way. In fact, she pledged to make a donation to St. Jude that month! And to top it all off, she even came out of the restaurant to see me off when I left.

And I was off to tackle another mountain pass! Now, there really weren't many ways to get through the Sierras from Tahoe so I ended up sticking with Highway 50 even though I knew it wasn't the safest. For those of you who do not know this route, there are numerous stretches of road with no shoulder to speak of, blind turns, and falling rocks from the cliffs above. Needless to say, I put in a few prayers before setting out.

It was another somewhat easy climb with some beautiful views. When I reached the pass I was ecstatic. Not only had I finished my final major climb but the temperature wasn't going to get any worse... Well, the temperature didn't get any worse but after I reached the pass, I was no longer going 6-8 miles per hour while putting forth a great deal of effort. No, I was traveling at about 30mph and putting forth little effort at all. It was what I imagine being in a blast chiller would be like. Just over halfway down, I forced myself to stop at a hotel where they had a fireplace in the lobby in order to thaw out. To give you an idea of how cold I had gotten, I was there for over a half hour and I was still shivering when I left.

As I made my way to Pollock Pines I knew I was going to be cutting it close with the weather. Sure enough, when I was about 3 or 4 miles out it started to sprinkle. Fortunately, it remained a light drizzle until I rolled into town. I was about a mile away from the hotel when I realized how hungry I was. I also realized that once I got to the hotel I was not going to want to venture back out for food so I stopped to eat. By the time I got out of the restaurant, the weather had turned into a full fledged downpour. Therefore, I had to ride a mile in thirty degree temperatures while I got soaked by rain that was just shy of being turned to snow. By the time I got to the hotel I was drenched and could barely fill out the paperwork for my stay because I was shaking so uncontrollably. I am very glad that I am mostly out of the mountains. When I got to my room, I immediately turned on the heater and spent nearly an hour with my best friend of that night... the hair dryer. Haha

Looking forward to warmer temperatures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment